The annual update to the STANDARDS AND TECHNICAL INFORMATION REPORTS FOR SMALL CRAFT by which boats are built and repaired was released August 1, by the American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) in Supplement 53.
For Supplement 53, ABYC Standard S-31 Environmental Considerations for Electric/Electronic Components Installed Onboard Boats was added. The following ABYC Standards were revised:
- A-1 Marine Liquefied Petroleum LPG Systems
- A-3 Galley Stoves
- A-6 Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Equipment
- A-30 Cooking Appliances with Integral LPG Cylinders
- E-2 Cathodic Protection
- H-2 Ventilation of Boats Using Gasoline
- H-25 Portable Gasoline Fuel Systems (Technically Amended)
- H-32 Ventilation of Boats Using Diesel Fuel
- P-17 Mechanical Steering Systems
- P-18 Cable Over Pulley Steering Systems for Outboard Engines
- P-22 Steering Wheels
- P-24 Electric/Electronic Propulsion Control Systems
- P-27 Electric/Electronic Steering Control Systems
- T-17 Compass Installation
ABYC Standards C-1 Primer Bulbs and C-2 Carbon Canisters were also published and are available for purchase on the ABYC website. Standards such as these provide the framework for the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) Boat & Yacht Certification program, and are a reliable and authoritative reference for evaluating issues of design, construction, maintenance, and product performance.
“It is imperative that those in the industry have access to the current standards. The simplest and most cost effective way to get the standards is to join ABYC,” said Brian Goodwin, ABYC Technical Director. “It’s never too soon to start analyzing the standards to make sure your product and repair work meets ABYC content.”
ABYC, alongside experienced government, industry, and public sector professionals, continually review new technology and accident scenarios to adapt the standards for the latest in safety. Standards are then developed by members of Project Technical Committees, and are authorized for publication by a Technical Board.
The Standards and Technical Information Reports for Small Craft is available for purchase on CD, as a paper manual, and on ABYC’s website through WebSTIR that is powered by Rulefinder.net. To purchase the Standards and Technical Information Reports for Small Craft, and for more information on how you can join ABYC, or a Standards committee, please visit www.abycinc.org.
# # #